One of the most important, yet overlooked things when playing guitar, is the position of your body in relation to the guitar. Where the body of your guitar is placed in relation to you, and the way your arms are positioned can be a make or break in regards to developing good technique and being able to play with comfort and ease. If you develop bad playing habits, not only will you have a harder time relearning technique, but you might also potentially hurt your back, shoulders or even wrists (a very common thing for beginners).
I figured out that the easiest way to find out where the guitar position feels most comfortable is to adjust a guitar strap while standing up. You would then just keep the strap even when you are sitting and that way you don’t lose the guitar’s position.
Nevertheless, there is an issue with this. Keeping the strap on will demand some back resistance and it will make it very difficult for you to have long practice sessions without experiencing discomfort. So what is the best solution to this problem? The answer is simple my friends, a guitar footstool.
- Non-slip rubber surface & metal frame make it sturdy and durable
- Foot rest size: width 4"; length 10"
- 6 position height adjustable from 4.5" to 9.5"
- Protective, non-slip rubber end caps prevents slipping and protects floors
It has 6 adjustable height positions that range from 4.5 inches to 9.5 inches (roughly around 11-24 cm). It is very lightweight yet durable which makes it easy to transport.
It has a non-slip surface at the top so your foot will stay in the place while playing. In addition to this, its footplate dimension is perfect for all foot sizes, making it impossible to go wrong with this footstool.
- Six adjustable height positions
- Non-slip rubber pads
- Footplate dimension set for any foot sizes
- Very inexpensive
On-Stage FS7850B Guitar Foot Rest
- 5 Fixed height positions
- Non-slip rubber pad
- Folds flat
- Package Dimensions: 2.54 L x 30.48 H x 11.684 W (centimeters)
Another great option at an affordable price is an On-Stage footrest. The design of the footrest is fairly simple. It’s black, made of metal, and you can adjust its height based on your preferences. The quality of the footstool is quite good.
It has a non-slip rubber pad at the top, which means you’ll be able to play comfortably and without any worries. As with other models, you can easily fold the stool, and it can fit in your backpack or guitar bag.
Needless to say, the best thing about it is the price, and you won’t need to spend a fortune to get it.
Neewer Guitar Foot Rest
- Made of heavy-duty metal, sturdy construction with fine workmanship. Note:...
- Height adjustable up to six fixed height positions. Maximum height:...
- Features rubber end caps and a non-slip rubber pad for excellent stability
- Easy to set up, folds flat for convenient storage or transport
The first thing you’ll notice about Neewer footrest is how beautiful it is. It’s made of solid iron, and it’s quite durable. You can adjust the stool to six different positions, and the height is adjustable.
The minimum height is 3.9 inches, while the maximum is 10 inches. The end caps are covered with rubber, which means that the stool won’t start moving once you begin using it. The stool is easy to use, it’s sturdy, and it is surprisingly affordable.
Naturally, the stool can also fold flat if you want to put it aside or carry it somewhere.
WOGOD Foot Rest
- Adjustable Height: The WOGOD Guitar Foot Rest features 6 adjustable height...
- Anti-Slip and Stable: Our Guitar Foot Rest is designed with a non-slip...
- Foldable Design: The WOGOD Guitar Foot Rest can be easily folded for...
- Versatile Application: Our Guitar Foot Rest is suitable for various musical...
WOGOD offers a great footrest for an affordable price. You won’t have to spend as much money as on some other models, and you will still get a decent piece of equipment.
The footrest is made of iron, and you can easily adjust it to your taste. It allows you to play the guitar while sitting in a comfortable position, and you can pick one of six different height settings.
The material used for the footrest will ensure that neither your foot nor the stool itself will move while you play.
Hercules FS100B Large Guitar Foot Rest
- Brand: HERCULES
- Sturdy and Durable
- Height adjustable 5-Inch - 10-Inch , Weight 1. 8 lbs.
- Base diameter 11-Inch x 5. 5-Inch
Hercules is a very well-known brand for making great microphone stands, guitar stands, and many other accessories. The Hercules Footrest does not disappoint.
With a 5 adjustable height that varies from 5 inches to 10 inches and made out of solid metal, this is a very well-made and durable footrest that can withstand 198 lbs (around 90kg). The footrest also comes with rubber caps to prevent it from sliding on marble floors.
My only issue with this one may be that it’s a little pricey, but Hercules does truly guarantee durability, so it might be worth the investment!
- Study and very durable
- Can withstand a weight of 198 lbs (around 90 kg)
- Adjustable height
- Rubber caps to prevent from slipping
- Guaranteed well manufactured
- A bit pricey
- A bit less adjustable heights than usual
ChromaCast Folding Guitar Foot Rest
- Sturdy and Durable
- 4-Level height adjustments allow you to adjust from 5.5" to 10"
- Folds for easy storage and travel
- Perfect for classical guitarists
The final entry on the list is by ChromaCast, and it is another black footrest you can buy. The stool is made of metal, it’s durable, and it looks great.
There are four different height settings to choose from. The minimum is 5.5 inches, and the maximum is 10 inches. If you plan on traveling, you can easily fold it to ensure it can fit in your bag.
Naturally, the main quality of this model is its price, and it is quite affordable. For those not willing to spend a lot of money on a footrest, this might be an excellent choice.
Punk Guitar Footstool
- ♫【Black Walnut Material:】 Guitar Footstool, made of real North...
- ♫【4 Levels Height Adjustable:】 Set to your preferred height easily,...
- ♫【Foldable Design:】 This guitar footrest is foldable and can be...
- ♫ 【Good Accessory:】 Solid wood material, Strong structure, anti-skid...
For everyone that’s looking for something a bit different, Punk offers an excellent option. The majority of footstools you can find are made of metal. And that’s perfectly fine.
But if you still want your footstool to perfectly fit into your decor, you might want to check out what Punk has to offer. This one is made of walnut. As with other versions you can find on the market, you can easily fold it and fit it into your guitar bag, and it allows you to pick one of four different height positions.
It is an excellent option for anyone looking for a more natural design.
Miwayer Guitar Foot Rest
- 【Material】Made of heavy-duty metal, sturdy construction with fine...
- 【Functions】Height adjustable up to four fixed height positions. Maximum...
- 【Classical Design】Features rubber end caps and a non-slip rubber pad...
- 【Package Include】Provides six tune ergonomic playing positions to...
Miwayer is a perfect option for anyone operating on the budget. The footrest is affordable, and it is quite decent.
It’s made of heavy-duty metal, and it offers four different height positions. The maximum height is ten inches, and the minimum is 3.9”. It’s adjustable, and it has rubber end caps to prevent slipping. When you are carrying it, the footrest can fold flat, and you can easily put it in your backpack.
Of course, the selling point is the price, and it is such a great opportunity for anyone looking for the cheapest option.
K&M Stand 14670
- THE INNOVATIVE LEADER IN STAND TECHNOLOGY: K&M’s Footrest has a sturdy...
- CALLING ALL MUSICIANS: Whether practicing at home, performing on stage or...
- TRUSTED DESIGN: A steel black frame with adjustable heights (from 4.685 to...
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Reflecting our commitment to world-class construction,...
The next one on the list arrives from K&M. This company offers a couple of excellent models, and the only problem you’ll have is picking which one to buy.
K&M is a company from Germany, and it has over seventy years of experience in making incredible products. The Koning & Meyer model you can see here is made of heavy-duty steel, it has non-skid plastic, and you can easily adjust it by picking one of six different positions.
While the price is a bit higher compared to the majority of models on the list, I’d say that it’s well worth it since you will be getting an excellent product.
Dumealagr Guitar Foot Rest Stool
- ✔ SIX HEIGHT POSIONTIONS - With its 6 different height positions, Maximum...
- ✔ EXCELLENT STABILITY - Comes with rubber end caps and a rubber pad that...
- ✔ HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL - The guitar foot stool is made of heavy-duty...
- ✔ EASY TO CARRY - Its small size and foldable construction make this...
While the brand is not the most popular on the market, it can still do an excellent job helping you keep the posture. The Dumealagr footrest has six different height positions, and you can easily adjust it to your needs.
The maximum height of the rest is 27 centimeters (10.63 inches), and the minimum is 10 centimeters (3.94 inches). The design of the footrest is quite simple, and it offers great stability that prevents skidding.
For those that travel with their instruments, you should know that the Dumealagr footrest is easy to carry, and you can start using it in just a couple of seconds.
Stageline 7590 Guitar Foot Rest
- Product Type:Instrument Parts And Accessories
- Item Package Dimension:30.48 cm L X 12.192 cm W X 2.794 cm H
- Item Package Weight:1.7 lbs
- Country Of Origin: China
Stageline is another footrest you can check out. The design of the rest is quite simple. It’s made of metal which will ensure it’s durable, and you can adjust it to one of five different positions.
The model here is black, and it has non-slip rubber on the top. The length of the rest is 11.8 inches, and you won’t have any problems using it. While the price is a bit higher compared to other similar entries on the list, it is still a good choice you might want to check out.
K&M 14670.014.59 Foot Rest
- THE INNOVATIVE LEADER IN STAND TECHNOLOGY: K&M Footrest has a sturdy design...
- CALLING ALL MUSICIANS: Whether practicing at home, performing on stage or...
- TRUSTED DESIGN: A steel vibrant red frame with adjustable heights (from...
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Reflecting our commitment to world-class construction,...
I already mentioned one of the models K&M has to offer, but I need to give you a taste of what the company has in its repertoire. The design of this version is fairly similar to the other ones on the list.
There are six different height settings, the stool is made of metal, and it’s easily adjusted to your taste. The main difference here is in the color. Unlike the majority (almost all) footstools you can find, this one isn’t black. The model I put here is red, and it looks amazing.
Keep in mind that K&M offers other colors. But, I won’t go through every one of them individually.
Ganasome Foot Stool
- Can be easily adjusted to six different heights and get the most suitable...
- Features rubber end caps and a non-slip rubber pad for excellent...
- Provides you with a comfortable sitting posture to create less strain on...
- Foldable design, easy to set up, folds flat for convenient storage or...
For those with incomplete guitar equipment, this might be a dream come true. While the footrest is fairly simple, it isn’t the only thing you will get in the package.
Firstly, you will get a footstool made of metal, that offers a non-slip design with adjustable height. But you will also get a tuner for your guitar that you can easily clip on the headstock to ensure you always stay in tune while playing.
Needless to say, the tuner is not attached to the footrest, and you will get a 2-in-1 package for such a low price.
Dilwe Foot Rest Stool
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: The height of the pedal is adjustable, 4 levels of...
- DURABLE MATERIAL: It is made of metal, it has a black finish, anti-slip...
- KEEP MORE STABLE: The rubber on the bottom of the pedal provides extra...
- FOLDABLE DESIGN: Foldable design, it is convenient to transport and...
The next entry on the list comes from Dilwe. The footrest offers a non-slip pattern on the top, it has four different height options, and it’s in the mid-range when it comes to price.
It’s made of metal with a black finish, which means that it is durable and sturdy. You won’t need to worry about anything happening to it while you play, and your foot will remain in one place due to its design and rubber caps.
It’s fairly simple and easy to use, and you can adjust it in just a couple of seconds.
Bnineteenteam Guitar Footstool
- [PREMIUM QUALITY]: The wood guitar footstool is made of black walnut (not...
- [SUIT FOR]:The wood guitar footstool is perfect for classic guitar / banjo...
- [EASY TO CARRY]:The wood guitar footstool is a small guitar footstool, save...
- [SPECIFICATION]:Condition: 100% brand new Material: Wood Package List: 1 x...
Another option for those who are looking for a more stylish guitar footstool comes from Bnineteenteam. This is another model made of wood, and it is beautiful.
Of course, the price is a bit higher since the craftsmanship is incredible. The stool comes with a carrying bag, and it’s made of a combination of black walnut and metal. There are four different height options, and you can adjust them to your taste.
The only problem with this model is the price since it is significantly pricier compared to the alternative. However, if you are looking for an excellent footrest with a unique design, this isn’t a big price to pay.
What Is A Guitar Footstool?
If you are still not sure what a guitar footstool is, then here is the answer. A guitar footstool is a small device where you place your foot and it helps you elevate your leg as to position the guitar in the proper playing place.
A very simple, yet powerful device that can help you dramatically improve your practice sessions and prevent back discomfort (probably our #1 enemy).
Should I Consider Buying A Guitar Footstool?
I’ll start by saying that if you are a classical guitar player, a footstool is a very useful device and it is a necessary tool for you to develop the right technique.
For electric guitar players, I believe it’s a good tool to have in your arsenal and most of them are pretty inexpensive so I would still recommend getting one. I also think it’s a great thing to have some sort of attention on how your body feels while playing.
It is very easy to lose yourself in the music or the technique and forget that your whole body should be in tune with what you are doing to experience more satisfying results and avoid unnecessary pain in parts of your body due to an incorrect posture.
What Features Does A Footstool Should Have?
The most important feature to look for in a guitar footstool is whether its height is adjustable or not. Granted, it will be cheaper to have one that has a non-adjustable height.
Also, some guitarists prefer non-adjustable footstools because they are usually heavier and sturdier. The reason I prefer a footstool with adjustable height is that it allows you to try different configurations that can potentially alter your playing in a good way.
Other than that, some of the features that can be found on a guitar footstool are the materials it was made of, how sturdy or light it is, and how easy they are to carry around (this is important especially if you play out often).
If I speak of material, I would say that even though I prefer footstools made out of wood (they are just nicer), I don’t think I’d want to spend more than necessary and a footstool made out of steel will do the job just fine.
Also, it’s important to mention that some footstools are made to be fold-able, making it very convenient to carry them around without any difficulties.
So, to sum up, these are the features to look out for in a guitar footstool:
- Adjustable height
- Made out of steel so it will be lightweight.
- Fold-able so it will be easier to carry and store.
How Do I Use A Guitar Footstool?
The most important thing to know about using a footstool is that the real “proper” way to use it is more directed towards classical guitar music.
Having said that, the way you position yourself is by actually using the footstool on your LEFT leg (this is if you are a right-handed guitarist) and placing your guitar between your legs, placing the curved part of the guitar on your left leg, and finally, tilting up the guitar. This is the most effective way to prevent any sort of back strain.
If you are a lefty, then the process would be reversed and you would put the stool on your right foot, but you would still place the guitar in between your legs.
Ultimately, that is the most important thing when finding the proper position to play, is that it has to resemble as closely as it can the way you would be performing. The more your practice sessions become “small gigs” the more prepared you will be when that show comes in.
What You Should Not Do With A Guitar Footstool?
There are some things you shouldn’t do with a footstool that might seem very intuitive, such as standing on top of it, to avoid breaking it or worse, falling and hurting yourself.
Another thing would be to make sure you are placing the right foot according to the style you are performing As I mentioned before, in classical you would put it on your left foot as to put the guitar on your left leg.
If you were to perform contemporary music, you would place it on your right foot (all of this would be inverted if you are a left-handed player).
Probably the most important indication I can tell you is to make sure you don’t place the footrest either too high that your hip starts feeling some sort of tension or strain, or too low that you have to lift your leg and tense your calf.
I would recommend trying different height settings when you are looking for the perfect footrest for you. Just remember, comfort is the number one priority you are looking for.
Alternative To A Guitar Footstool – Are They Really Good?
- Professional play aid, developed by Michael Comöster
- Thigh support 125 mm with cellular rubber pad, individually adjustable in...
- Frame attachment with 4 adjustable suction cups
- Suction cup can be replaced and removed easily
The ErgoPlay Guitar Support is essentially a small device that is hooked to the guitar and it provides support to ensure your guitar is at its best-playing position.
Nevertheless, even when it’s made out of high-quality aluminum and it has a rubber pad to provide comfort to your thigh, the ErgoPlay is not really that good of an option since the support depends on your leg, therefore it depends on whether you know how to sit properly or not.
Even then, I still believe that being dependent on the position of your leg can become very tiresome quickly, both because of the effort needed to focus on not moving that much, but also just because all the weight still falls on your body.
- Contoured cushion, fix on thigh perfectly. Built-in sponge for added...
- Fitting snugly on the right or left upper leg.With leather cover, protect...
- Zip design for convenience, easy to take it off and clean cover.
- Comes with a pouch and a hook. Easy to carry along.
The YIFAN Guitar Cushion is a pretty solid choice as an alternative for a footrest. Made out of a sponge covered in PU leather, the YIFAN Cushion is very comfortable and is a great fit for all people.
It is also very easy to take anywhere, which makes it more convenient. My only problem with it is that for obvious reasons, the height can’t be adjusted, which makes it a bit harder if for some reason you don’t feel 100% comfortable adjusting yourself.
On the other hand, what I do like is that you don’t have to elevate your foot in any way, which to me is slightly more comfortable than having a footrest. Having said that, I would recommend a footstep over both alternatives.
A guitar footrest might seem like an unnecessary accessory to have, but as I mentioned before it is a very important aspect of learning to play guitar (or any instrument for that matter) to learn to play with as much comfort and ease as you can.
The footstool can be a great addition that pushes you in that direction and it is really helpful that you can get top-quality footstools at very low prices. So go out there, my friend and look for your favorite footstool and get ready to experience playing with a whole new level of control and relaxation.
If you found this article useful, you may want to save this pin below to your Guitar board.
Last update on 2023-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API